daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3) - Carolyn Crane Head Rush, the final book in The Disillusionists Trilogy, proves that sometimes great things really do happen in threes!

stop
This review is for the third book in Carolyn Crane's "Disillusionists" trilogy, and while I'll be avoiding spoilers for this book, the following review will contain MAJOR spoilers for [b:Mind Games|6890220|Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1)|Carolyn Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320403092s/6890220.jpg|7110760] and [b:Double Cross|7759629|Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)|Carolyn Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320472137s/7759629.jpg|10622077] . If you haven't read those two books yet, please promise me two things:

1. You will go check out [b:Mind Games|6890220|Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1)|Carolyn Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320403092s/6890220.jpg|7110760] and [b:Double Cross|7759629|Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)|Carolyn Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320472137s/7759629.jpg|10622077]. They are absolutely mindblowing, and filled with action, humor, quirky but lovable heroes, deliciously twisted villains, paranormal romance, and drama! If you're a fan of YA, PR, UF...heck,if you're a fan of reading in general, you should find something in those books to love!

2. You will not read this review any further until you've read both those books first...you're getting the better end of the deal, Crane's books are far more entertaining than my reviews, anyway! ;)

Now, if you can promise me you're all caught up in the Disillusionists trilogy, you may proceed!
go

Justine Jones should be on top of the world right now. She's days away from marrying Mayor Otto Sanchez and becoming the official First Lady of Midway City. But instead she feels like her world is falling apart. She's still reeling from Packard's betrayal, which ended with the murder of an innocent man. And the only friends she has in her life seem to be keeping her at a distance. Soon Justine begins to suspect that nothing in her life is what is seems. And to make matters worse, she still has feelings for Packard, even though he's currently wanted for murder. When everything you know is a lie, can you still trust your heart?

"Head Rush" picks up where the shocking ending of "Double Cross" left off...Justine and Packard had just professed their love for each other, when Justine witnessed Mayor Otto Sanchez commit the cold-blooded murder of Avery. Before Justine could react, her mind was invaded by Otto's ruthless assistant Sophia, and Justine's memories were altered to make her believe that Packard was the one who killed Avery and that she declared Otto to be the man she loved! I was a little afraid that Crane may run out of steam before reaching the finish line to this trilogy, but Crane manages to go out with a bang by completely changing the tone of this book. While the first two books were more focused on humor and action, this book is much darker and features more drama and suspense than the last two combined! With most of the Disillusionists on the run, the stakes have never been higher. In addition, Otto has become much more powerful, both politically (which enables him to enact martial law on his city) and physically (in which he as acquire a stunning new mental ability). By making Justine face impossible odds against an unbeatable villain, Crane had me on the edge of my seat up from page one all the way to the end!

While there's a major shift in atmosphere in this book, that's not to say all the elements I enjoyed from the last two books are absent. The quirky characters I came to love from the last two books are still here. Justine is still vulnerable yet strong. Shelby once again manages to turn obsessive pessimism into an endearing quality. Packard exudes cockiness even while every cop in Midcity is hunting him. And there's still some laugh out loud moments...many of them provided by gambling addict Simon who is given a much meatier role this time around (and was so much fun to read about, it made me wish he had been featured more in the last two books). Also, Justine's germophobic father appears for the first time and lends some additional sweetness to the story, as he shows how much he cares for his daughter and gives her his shoulder to cry on (even if he insists on wearing a hazmat suit while she does it).

Also, while this book doesn't feature as many colorful villains as the last two, there's still enough action to keep things interesting. Sleepwalking cannibals and serial killers with disturbingly-familiar powers lurk the streets of Midcity and add to the excitement. And while the first half of the book is certainly entertaining, the second half is where things get realllly interesting! Shocking revelations and plot twists galore make this book the most powerful entry in the Disillusionists trilogy. I can't discuss them here as that would be spoiling things, but anyone who has already read this book knows exactly what I'm talking about ;)

By completely turning this series on its head, Carolyn Crane has made sure to end her series with a bang and not a whimper. A more-than-satisfying conclusion to a brilliant trilogy! Bravo, Ms. Crane! :D
jokerclap