daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Dark Force Rising - Timothy Zahn The second book of the acclaimed "Thrawn Trilogy" picks up right where Heir To The Empire left off, and the stakes are much higher this time. Leia deals with the moral ramifications from the discovery that her actions in the Rebel Alliance may have decimated an entire world. Luke unwittingly falls under the spell of an unstable Dark Jedi. And Han & Lando are in a race with the ruthless Grand Admiral Thrawn and his newly-resurrected Empire to try to locate a fleet of ghostly spaceships that could potentially win the war for either side.

While Dark Force Rising was certainly a fun read, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first book. For one thing, the pacing is somewhat off. The first few chapters feature plenty of action, and the last few chapters are very fast-paced (including a beautifully-depicted dogfight between several spaceships), but the 200 or so pages in between feature hardly any action at all! I was rarely bored as the multiple plotlines held my interest, but there's no denying that some parts did drag on a bit.

Another minor disappointment for me was the fact that Luke, Leia, and Han were separated throughout most of the book. In Zahn's defense, using this approach did allow him to explore more storylines, but I still missed the great chemistry between the three stars (no pun intended) of the Star Wars movies!

All that said, what the book does well, it does very well! Thrawn is once again a captivating villain, possessing such genius and cunning that it borders on supernatural levels! And the other characters Zahn introduces in this trilogy are all compelling in their own right. Karrde is a suave manipulator and it's fun watching him play both sides against the middle. Mara Jade is tough and sometimes even frightening, yet her tortured soul still evokes sympathy. And C'Baoth is just too twisted not to like! Also, I continue to be very impressed with Zahn's prose as well. He does a great job describing settings and events (although sometimes he falls into the trap of thinking the reader is automatically an expert in all things Star Wars...he had a tendency to bring up certain alien planets & races with no explanation, assuming we already know what he's talking about).

So, despite the newer faces outshining the Star Wars classic characters, and the infrequent amounts of action, the exciting story still makes Dark Force Rising a great read. So far, the Thrawn trilogy continues to be my favorite Star Wars tie-in since the thrilling "Knights of the Old Republic" video game on the original Xbox...whoa that last sentence was geeky, even for me!