daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion - Alan Moore, Stephen R. Bissette, Tom Yeates, John Totleben, Rick Veitch, Alfredo Alcala "It ends...not with a bang...but with a whimper." :(

For me, Alan Moore's final edition of Swamp Thing was a major disappointment. It felt like Moore was trying to take a book that worked so well as a horror series, and shoehorn it into a more contemporary comic-book format. The opening two-parter featuring Swamp Thing's adventure with Adam Strange on another world is Moore's attempt at a science-fiction classic, but the end result is just silly. Even worse is the dull filler issue guest-written by Swamp Thing artist Rich Veith. The Green Lantern story felt way too out of place as well.

There is still some goodness to be had in this edition. Abby's encounter with her dead father harkens back to the series' horror-story roots (no pun intended). And the final 2 chapters tie things up nicely in a deep way. Still, if you go into Alan Moore's revered "Swamp Thing" run because you're a fan of scary stories, I suggest you quit after Volume 4, the final two editions are only a pale shadow of the brilliantly darker tales before them.