daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
The Crystal Shard - R.A. Salvatore "The Crystal Shard" is R.A. Salvatore's 1st major published novel, and he made sure to include all the classic fantasy elements in this epic tale. Unfortunately, that turns out to be the book's one major flaw, since the overall story just seems so generic. Let's see, we have an evil artifact that possesses the mind of its owner, a dwarf and an elf who banter and keep score while they fight common enemies, and even a hobbit halfling who joins in the quest. Gee, does any of this sound familiar?!? Still, while it isn't the most original plot (or even the 100th most original plot), "The Crystal Shard" still manages to be a must-read for any fantasy fan!

One thing I enjoyed most about this book was R.A. Salvatore's incredibly beautiful descriptions of everything. I've praised Salvatore in the past for his inimitable ability to portray fight sequences in great detail. In this book, he also takes time to describe the lush environments and the intricate architecture in such rich detail, I truly felt like I was there watching everything unfold! Another great thing about this book was the cast. Pretty much every major character is worth reading about, and each has their own distinct personality. Bruenor the dwarf is gruff but noble. Regis the halfling is craven yet crafty. But the one who really steals the show is dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden! It's no mystery why Drizzt was the breakout star of the Icewind Dale trilogy, since he is so roguishly charming in this book, you absolutely want to read about more of his exploits! The book moves at a very fast pace as well, thanks to tons of action and drama throughout.

The book isn't a perfect read, however, I did have some minor quibbles throughout. For one thing, Salvatore's tendency to generalize the evil wizard's army grew tiresome (we're constantly reminded that goblins are cowardly by nature, that orcs are all brutes, etc...). And I was annoyed by the appalling lack of strong women in this story! The only female character (unless you count Drizzt's panther) who gets any screen time at all is Bruenor's adopted daughter, Cattie-Brie, and she only appears for a very short while. Still while the book did lack in some areas, the captivating characters and exciting action made this a grand adventure to read! Highly recommended :)