daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight - James Robinson, John Francis Moore, Archie Goodwin, P. Craig Russell, Tim Sale, Kevin O'Neill, Alan Grant "Blades" by James Robinson still remains one of my favorite Batman stories ever. While other writers often fall into the trap of portraying Batman as so intelligent and infallible that he seems almost supernatural (cough Grant Morrison cough), this story reminds us that Batman is all-too-human, and he is a lot more sympathetic because of it. A powerful, emotional tale featuring a disillusioned knight and a tragic villain.

"Hothouse" by John Francis Moore is a fun Poison Ivy story. Hothouse doesn't try to reinvent the character or shake up the Batman mythos, it's simply an exciting adventure featuring Ivy in all her seductive glory, particularly the scene where Batman briefly falls under her spell!

As for the Bat-Mite story...meh! In the 90s, DC had a mandate that every single Batman character had to be grim-and-gritty, so Alan Grant tried to give us a darker Bat-Mite...it works about as well as you might expect...not very! A lame attempt, but fortunately it's only one issue long, and since the other two stories in this collect are SO good, I didn't deduct a star just for Bat-Mite.