daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie It's been a long time since I read this book...I was in my pre-teen years at the time! Because of that, I really can't give too detailed a review, but I can honestly say that this was the novel that ignited my life-long love for mysteries! Sure, as a kid, I had already been exposed to mysteries aimed at my age group...the Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Scooby Doo (OK, that last one doesn't really count), but "And Then There Were None" was the first sophisticated mystery I ever read, and its effects are still with me to this day.

'Lil 10-year-old Dave Green was completely entranced by so many things in this novel...the bizarre death-threat in the form of a poem, the feeling of dread and helplessness the potential victims all felt, the chilling murders, the twist ending. I had read many books over the years, but this was the first book I actually FELT! Fear, excitement, gloom, and even joy when I realized the author had completely fooled me in the final few pages.

Sometimes I consider rereading this book, but as corny as it sounds, I'm afraid that reading it a second time may take away some of the magic for me. It's like when you watch an old movie you loved as a kid and find yourself saying, "This isn't nearly as good as I remembered!" No, "And Then There was One" was a book that had a profound effect on me, and even though it's been over 25 years since I read it, it will always have a special place in my heart :)