daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) - R.A. Salvatore "Sojourn" is the last book in the Dark Elf Trilogy, and what an epic conclusion it is! This book has a much different tone than the first two. Whereas the first two books took place in underground worlds, this book brings Drizzt Do'Urden to the surface. R. A. Salvatore does a magnificent job portraying Drizzt in a sympathetic light as the dark elf tries desperately to assimilate into his new home. From his bumbling attempts to befriend a family of farmers, to his fear while experiencing his very first winter, Drizzt's pain and loneliness made me truly feel for him. Also, Drizzt shows a lot more personality in this book (the first book was more about Drizzt's dysfunctional family, while the second book portrayed him almost as a primal beast), which made him all the more likeable as well.

And speaking of likeable characters, I found the blind ranger Montolio to be a welcome addition to the mythos. While the last book was a little too grim for my tastes, Drizzt's growing friendship with Montolio allowed Salvatore to inject more of his trademark humor this time around. The relationship between the two friends is very touching and reveals more facets to Drizzt's character.

I do have one minor complaint, however. While I thought the villains of the last two books were phenomenal adversaries, I did feel the antagonists of "Sojourn" were nowhere near as compelling as Drizzt's twisted family members were. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of action and excitement in these pages, and Salvatore finds a whole slew of opponents to send after Drizzt, but none of them were quite as entertaining or as complex as the villains from the last 2 books. Again, a small quibble, but one that kept this from being my favorite entry of the trilogy.

So, if I had to rank the books in the Dark Elf Trilogy from favorite to least favorite, the order would be "Homeland", "Sojourn", 'Exile". Still I would highly recommend them all! Now, onward to the Icewind Dale Trilogy for me!