daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
American Vampire #1 - Stephen King, Scott Snyder, Rafael Albuquerque Even though I had heard great things about Scott Snyder's "American Vampire" series, I've been hesitant in checking it out. Like many people, I'm just too "vampired-out" these days! After finally reading the 1st collection, I realize my fears were completely unfounded. Just as Scott Snyder recently managed to breathe new life into the 70+ year-old "Batman" franchise, he has done the same with the vampire genre.

"American Vampire" chronicles the rise of a new breed of vampire...the first vampires conceived on American soil. The main story focuses on Pearl Jones, a rising starlet in 1920s Hollywood who is killed by a group of vampires and rises from the dead to take revenge upon her attackers. Pearl Jones is one of the main reasons why this series works so well. The very first couple of pages are narrated by Pearl as she shares a sweet memory of her first being enchanted by the magic of movies...a touching narrative that acts as a complete contrast to the horrific events happening on panel. Not only are moments like these emotionally jarring, but they also give more in sight into Pearl's backstory and personality, which makes her a protagonist we truly care about and root for, even when we see her doing horrible things.

The main story works on so many levels. Yes, it's quite disturbing and gruesome at times, but there are also tender moments and humor mixed in as well. Pearl's quest to discover just exactly what she has been turned into is compelling, loaded with action, suspense, mystery, and a twist towards the end that I never saw coming. I also loved how Snyder used vampirism as a metaphor for how the innocent were often preyed upon in the early days of Hollywood. This isn't just about vampires running around killing people, there's a much deeper story at work here.

The first "American Vampire" collection also features a back-up story by master horror novelist Stephen King, as he reveals the origin of Skinner Sweet, the very first vampire created on American soil who is also responsible for Pearl Jones' resurrection. When you can say that Stephen King's contribution is excellent, but not quite as excellent as the main story, you know you're reading something truly magical!