daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned - Pia Guerra, José Marzán Jr., Brian K. Vaughan Ask a comic-book geek what the greatest graphic novel of all time was, and at least 9 out of 10 will tell you it's "Watchmen". And there's no denying Watchmen deserves the accolades it gets, as it quite effectively reinvented the graphic novel genre. However, if you asked THIS comic-book geek what the greatest graphic novel of all time was, and I would instantly tell you it's "Y The Last Man"!

The book starts out with an intriguing premise...a mysterious plague instantly kills off every man on the planet...except for one young man named Yorick Brown. Now, as all the women around the world start to rebuild a society without any men, Yorick goes on a quest to try to learn exactly why he survived the plague. A tale of such epic proportions would have been too much for many writers, but Brian K. Vaughan not only takes the story to its fullest potential, he manages to somehow exceed even that! And the rich, detailed artwork by Pia Guerra is exactly the icing this cake needs.

There are so many layers to this story, it's impossible to really touch on everything in one review. Yorick is a fascinating and likeable protagonist. and his quest to learn the truth about himself and the plague is very exciting, but that's really just one out of many elements that makes this such a fun read. Oftentimes, the ladies who were left behind after all the men died are the ones who steal the show. Brian K. Vaughan works in social commentary on many different issues, including sexism, partisan politics, xenophobia, religion and fanaticism. A lesser writer would have come off as preachy, but Vaughan makes everything flow so naturally that you never feel like you're being lectured. Rather than making his point through ham-fisted techniques, Vaughan simply gives you a cerebral, thought-provoking story and trusts that you'll be able to read all the subtext yourself.

Another thing that is so amazing about this story is how real it feels. Sure, a plague killing off all the men and none of the women is pretty over-the-top, but the characters themselves are so deep and fleshed-out, they make the story feel completely genuine. As the women cope with losing all the men in their lives, there are a lot of emotions that play out...enough that I had tears in my eyes more than once while reading the series! This is no cheesy popcorn movie that focuses solely on the action, we watch the characters as they fall in love, lose loved ones, become consumed with rage, and struggle to survive. And every bit of emotion that the characters feel is presented so strongly, the reader feels them as well.

Anyone who thinks comic books are immature has never read this powerful, Shakespearean story. I highly recommend you read this first volume of one of the greatest stories ever told. No matter what your literary preference is, I guarantee this book has something in it you'll love!