daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
The Inheritance - Tom Savage This was a fun little mystery, complete with a bizarre cast of characters and gothic elements. Yes, it makes sure to hit all the cliches (mysterious figure in a graveyard...check! outcast relative living in the attic...check!), but Tom Savage still manages to make something original out of all the cliches.

I generally have two problems with mysteries. Either the clues are too easy to spot in which case the solution isn't a surprise at all. Or the author tries so hard to go for a shocking twist, they give you a solution that is a surprise, only because it makes no sense! (A certain James Patterson novel where the culprit turned out to be a character who never appeared and was only mentioned in one sentence before the reveal comes to mind). But Savage did a great job coming up with a twist that I never saw coming, yet made perfect sense when I thought about it.

I couldn't give this book a perfect score, only because it's so cliched at times, I found myself surprised it didn't begin with the phrase, "It was a dark and stormy night"! Still, if you go in knowing the book can be a little silly at times, I think you'll really enjoy this gripping mystery!