daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
The House of Thunder - Leigh Nichols, Dean Koontz Before I review this, I should post a disclaimer...technically, I don't really have the right to post a review, since I only made it about halfway through this book before I finally gave up. I suppose it's possible the book got much better in the second-half, but somehow I highly doubt that...

I tried to read this, I really did. I had heard good things about Dean Koontz, and the premise certainly sounded promising. But I just couldn't get into this book at all. The dialogue is so incredibly corny, and the characters are so cliched, lead-heroine Susan could have found herself being tied to train-tracks by a man tweaking a handle-bar moustache, and it wouldn't have felt at all out of place!

Susan's quest to find out exactly how she wound up in a strange hospital and also learn the truth behind all the bizarre events that are happening to her certainly should have been compelling, but I found myself just rolling my eyes repeatedly as more and more cliches were being thrown at me.

What really made me quit was that I had an uncomfortable feeling I knew what was really going on in the book (I don't want to post spoilers, so I won't specify...I'll just say we're talking "an entire season of Dallas was all a dream" levels of absurdity here)! So, rather than waste any more time, I jumped ahead to see if I was right, and discovered that not only were my worst fears confirmed, but that Koontz actually managed to take my theory one step further and make it even more ridiculous!

I'll give Koontz another chance at some point, but if he really is a great writer, you certainly wouldn't know it from reading this...