daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Exile - R.A. Salvatore While I enjoyed “Exile”, I can’t say I liked it as much as Book 1 of the Dark Elf Trilogy. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to like about “Exile”…it’s filled with action (much more than “Homeland” had), and features a compelling story and interesting characters. However, I couldn’t help but feel that the second chapter of the Dark Elf Trilogy was too dark for its own good, but more on that in a moment…

What Salvatore does well in “Exile”, he does very well. I was afraid Drizzt wandering the Underdark would get old quickly, but Salvatore never ran out of imaginative creatures to throw at Drizzt and his allies. Also, I’ve always said one of Salvatore’s greatest strengths is his incredibly detailed action sequences, and he does a great job with that here (sometimes TOO good a job, as some of the gorier moments are definitely not for the squeamish). Also, Drizzt’s dysfunctional family makes a return, and they are so deliciously evil, they make for great antagonists. Wicked Matron Malice, cruel Briza, manipulative Dinin, they’re all in rare form and their machinations are captivating to behold. I can certainly say I was never once bored reading “Exile”!

But, as I said before, the overly dark tone did detract from my enjoyment. One major problem for me is that Salvatore’s trademark humor is almost completely absent this time around, and without a little levity thrown in, the book just feels grim and depressing. Drizzt himself spends the first few chapters as “The Hunter”, which has him reacting almost solely by instinct and displaying very little personality. Later, Drizzt encounters some allies, which introduces more likeable characters to the mix, but also adds to the grimness of the tone…one character in particular is so mired in tragedy, that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if more than a few readers were reduced to tears! I can’t deny Salvatore’s effectiveness as a writer, as his ability to make me empathize with his characters is a testament to his talent. However, despite “Exile” being a great novel, I can’t say I’d recommend it to anyone looking for any kind of “feel-good” story.