daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Grave Peril - Jim Butcher Another fun ride from "The Dresden Files", this one begins with wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden investigating a series of hauntings involving angry spirits. All the elements I've come to expect from the Harry Dresden series were present...Harry's sharp wit, horrific (yet fascinating) villains, and fast-paced action. Also, the larger story that's been intertwined throughout the series gets even richer with this edition. Harry's relationship with reporter Susan Rodriguez heats up, the long reach of the three vampire courts is revealed, and the machinations of Harry's wicked fairy godmother become much more interesting!

While I did love this book, I have to admit that it suffers from "Spider-Man 3" syndrome...in other words, the author tries to juggle too many elements at once. The book begins with an investigation into ghost sightings, but the ghosts quickly take a back seat to the vampires. It just felt like some pieces of the story (particularly the ghosts) weren't explored fully enough to make it interesting.

Still, if the worst thing you can say about this book is that it gives you too much rather than too little, that still makes for a wonderful adventure!