daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Batman: Year One - Richmond Lewis, Frank Miller, Dennis O'Neil, David Mazzucchelli Frank Miller became such a punchline after his abysmal "All-Star Batman" series, sometimes it's hard to remember that he was once considered one the greatest comic-book writers ever. But five pages into the sublime "Batman: Year One" is enough to show why the name Frank Miller used to command so much respect.

One of Batman's most famous quotes is "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot", and Batman :Year One gives them a very good reason to be afraid! This retelling of Batman's origin fills in some of the gaps in Bruce Wayne's past, and introduces Gotham City to a Batman who doesn't just protect the city, he also haunts it!

But my favorite aspect of this book was the building of the relationship between Batman & Police Commissioner James Gordon. Here, Jim Gordon isn't the man who was often portrayed as doing little more than lighting the Bat-Signal. Instead, we watch as a tough cop fights back against the corruption that has infected the Gotham City Police Department. Perhaps the tagline for this book best sums up the relationship Batman & Gordon form..."He's out to clean up a city that likes being dirty...he can't do it alone!"

Yes, Frank Miller did lose his touch somewhere along the way, but this still remains one of the greatest Batman (and Gordon) stories ever told!