daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Along Came a Spider - James Patterson I have been recommending this book for years. Yes, the movie adaptation was terrible…yes, some of the later Alex Cross entries were somewhat weak (I’m looking at you, “Viloets Are Blue”). But the first book of the Alex Cross series is still an amazing read. What really made this book work for me was the antagonist, Gary Soneji. He’s chilling and creepy, yet he’s still utterly fascinating. The game of cat-and-mouse between Alex Cross and Gary Soneji is gripping and exciting.

However, the book is not perfect…I did have to deduct a star, as I really didn’t enjoy the portrayal of Secret Service agent Jezzie Flanagan…I found her to be a grating character, and wished the time Patterson spent on her could have been used for any of the other more-interesting characters. Still, it may not be perfect, but “Along Came a Spider” is still a great suspense novel.