daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Mind Games - Carolyn Crane An impressive debut novel from a new author. The urban-fantasy genre is currently saturated with vampires and werewolves, but Carolyn Crane came up with an exciting new concept. Justine Jones is a hypochondriac who is brought into a shadowy group of vigilantes nicknamed "The Disillusionists". Every member of this group suffers from some kind of crippling anxiety issue, and they've learned how to transfer their phobias into the minds of criminals in an attempt to convince the criminals to reform.

Crane's greatest strength is her ability to write compelling characters. Justine Jones is a flawed-yet-lovable heroine, and her compatriots are all interesting personalities in their own right. Also, Justine's adversaries are bizarre enough to hold your interest as well.

This book was a real page-turner. The only reason I couldn't give it a perfect score is because Crane makes a huge misstep in the last few chapters, when she shoehorns in a second love-interest for Justine that just feels clumsy. It feels like Crane was almost finished writing and then said, "Wait a minute...all urban fantasies have to feature love-triangles these days, don't they"!

Yes, the clunky love-triangle element at the end did detract from my overall enjoyment, but other than that, Crane hits all the right notes with charismatic characters and exciting plotting. I can't wait to read her next book!