daveg7777

Dave Green's Read Alerts

Queen and Country: A Gentleman's Game
Greg Rucka
Expendable - James Alan Gardner Wow...it's rare that I find myself simultaneously loving and hating a book as I read it. The overall plot of "Expendable" is compelling. In the future, people who have disfigurements or even are just unattractive are considered "expendable" and sent off on suicide missions to explore unknown and dangerous worlds. Gardner makes a powerful critique about how society places far too much importance on physical appearance, and through brilliant characterization, he also shows us how disfigured heroine Festina is a far more beautiful person than the attractive people who callously send her off to die.

Unfortunately, while the concept of this book is great, the execution is rather poor. The main problem is that the pacing is just way off. Early on, we learn Festina is being sent to a planet that no one has ever returned from. The problem is that the first half of the book is devoted almost entirely to Festina planning for the mission...to the point that the reader is ready to scream, "Just land on the stupid planet, already!!!" And when Festina FINALLY arrives on the world of no return, the reveal is anti-climactic to say the very least!

There is enough social commentary and characterization to make this worth reading, but just barely. Ultimately, what we have here is a 200 page story that was stretched out into 350 pages!